The 8th Cycle of Dubai Customs IP Award for Public and Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
For the academic year 2014-2015
Dubai Customs launched the IP Award for Schools and Universities, in line with its IPR Department’s plan to encourage full community engagement in IPR protection and to educate students on their intellectual rights and how to reserve them, being the most targeted consumer segment.
The Award aims at measuring the upcoming generation’s awareness of IPR and educating the public about the risks of counterfeiting on consumers’ health and the country’s economy. Proposed research and projects are utilized in establishing a constructive knowledge base. Aims of the Competition/Award:
- Boosting loyalty, accountability and national identity as well as the spirit of philanthropy for college/university students.
- Developing leadership skills and reaffirming the spirit of cooperation and teamwork amongst college/university supervisors and students.
- Providing guidance on IPR and innovation.
- Protecting the society from counterfeiting, fraud and copyright infringement.
- Involving students in the identification of counterfeit products and raising awareness of their dangers amongst families.
- Benefiting from international experiences in IPR.
- Inciting students to create, develop, research and innovate
Activities that are required of participating universities/ colleges:
- Arranging visits and trips that spread awareness of the concept of intellectual property.
- Organising lectures, seminars, meetings and workshops on intellectual property internally and externally.
- Transferring knowledge of intellectual property through social networks.
- Keeping abreast of best international IP practices.
- Identifying a common problem, finding appropriate solutions and making applicable recommendations.
- Introducing the concept of intellectual property to as many students as possible as well as the local community.
Innovation Categories and Criteria:
||Best IP Website
||Name – logo – website design and content
||Best IP Awareness Campaign
||Campaign topic – targeted segments and campaign execution
||Best Innovation/Invention for IPR Protection
||Innovative Idea – Enhanced Idea
||Writing a book (story) not exceeding 15 pages
||Title and subject matter of the story – scenario – illustrations – personal effort
||Short play for 5-7 minutes, professionally filmed
||Title and subject matter of the story – scenario – filming quality
||Article, written by the student, on the role of innovation/creativity in creating a better world, not exceeding 300 words
||Article’s subject matter and publishing
||Preparation of a short film on IP and the dangers of counterfeit products, not exceeding 3-5 minutes
||The film’s subject matter – translation to many languages – direction – film quality and circulation
- The competition is open to all students in the UAE.
- Students with special needs.
Projects Evaluation (Criteria)
- All participating universities/colleges shall meet all requirements of the Dubai Customs IP Award (composition and classification).
- Project title: Every university/college selects the project’s name and the management shall approve the application form by writing down the name, logo and goals of the project on the form.
- Language: The project shall be printed clearly in Arabic or English - preferably Arabic.
- Number of projects: Every university/college can compete with one project only.
- The entity in charge of the project, which is Dubai Customs, shall be mentioned along with its logo, the Ministry of Education’s logo and the name and logo of the university/college.
- Work team: Every project shall be carried out by 5-10 students.
- The project or research shouldn’t be a repetition or previously submitted in whole or partially (attachments, material, pictures) to other competitions.
The referees committee will consider the extent to which the project fulfills the following requirements:
- Participants’ implementation of award criteria.
- The project’s fitness for the purpose of IPR protection in the United Arab Emirates.
- The project’s potential economic feasibility in the UAE in one or more areas.
- The project’s conformity with a conducive environment to innovation and creativity.
- The usefulness and efficiency of the project’s activities.
- Identifying the problem and putting forth suggestions and solutions.
- Community service and engagement through awareness dissemination.
- Designing posters and printed materials to serve the project.
- Organization, preparation and coordination.
- Team members’ cooperation.
- Timely project delivery.
Project Delivery Deadline and Awarding Ceremony:
- The project should be submitted either printed or on a flash memory, alongside the attached application form to award coordinators at DC. The deadline for application form submission is October 30, 2014.
- Project delivery deadline is March 26, 2014.
- Dubai Customs hosts an awarding ceremony for winning projects and presents them to the media on April 26 of every year, marking the World Intellectual Property Day.
- Invitees are the participating students and supervisors. (According to the application form)
- The award: The top three universities/colleges are granted a cash prize and participation certificates.
- Participating universities/colleges shall submit application forms.
Universities/ Colleges should submit application forms after completing all required fields by sending them to the IPR Department at Dubai Customs. Proposed projects will be later sent to the same address: